[ Type: FULL TIME , Industry: Nonprofit, and NGO , Category: Management ]
Deadline of this Job:
12 July 2022
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Cartographer provides technical support to the Africa business unit and directs cartographic work aimed at creating a portfolio of maps based on the TNC cartography guidelines. This position supports the advancement of the cartography guidelines across Africa, creates maps and visualizations for high-profile projects, and supports individual teams in building a trusted conservation map brand. They develop cartographic design and production for Strategy and Program Leads working with individual contributors. They are the point of contact for Africa cartography support, including updating the Africa “Where We Work” map. The Cartographer works closely with the GIS Coordinator and Analyst in the Africa program as well as with IT’s Cartography and Design team to support consistent cartography, data standardization and the centralization of geospatial data into TNC’s Conservation GeoCloud.
Responsibilities and Scope
• Leverage and advance TNC’s cartography guidelines aligned with a custom TNC cartography classification. Work closely with GIS Coordinator and Analyst on various cross-cutting projects and ensure regional representation as part of TNC’s cartography guidelines.
• Develop cartographic design and production for Strategy Leads and Project Leads working with partner organizations and stakeholders.
• Point of contact for Africa cartography support, including updating the Africa “Where We Work” map.
• Serve as the point of contact for Africa Marketing on map-related design requests, and create such maps as needed.
• In collaboration with IT’s Lead Cartographer, develop Project Package Map standards for Africa projects and support staff in implementing these standards.
• Work closely with the IT’s Lead Cartographer to implement standard symbology and templates for public-facing maps that represent TNC’s map brand and conservation work
• Work with IT’s Geospatial Systems team to standardize and centralize regional geospatial data into TNC’s Conservation GeoCloud (Amazon Web Services and ArcGIS Online platforms).
• Advise individual Strategy Leads and Program Managers on their specific cartographic needs based on their strategy plans
• Curate examples of outstanding TNC cartography and communicate these examples to internal and external audiences.
• Proactively advocate for the use of the automated map request form to facilitate the map creation process and ensure alignment with cartography guidelines.
• Participate in developing a network of TNC cartographers in different regions around the world.
• Provide cartographic support to TNC partners.
• Ensures Cartographic program compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
• May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
• Under minimal supervision, make independent decisions based on analysis, experience, and context.
• May involve working in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
• May involve frequent travel domestically and/or internationally, evening and weekend hours
• Bachelor’s degree and 3 years’ related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience in geospatial software.
• Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in designing, supporting, and managing cartographic products, in particular Esri’s ArcGIS suite of products. Experience with ArcGIS Pro is an added advantage.
• Experience in designing and maintaining spatial databases to meet organizational needs.
• Illustrated ability to establish and maintain good database management practices and protocols.
• Demonstrated experience setting realistic deadlines and managing timeframes.
• Experience interpreting image analysis, complex spatial analysis, data modeling and landscape scenario analysis.
• Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English.
• Ability to produce professional-quality cartographic products.
• Experience using desktop programs such as Microsoft Office and social platforms in particular Teams
• Relationship building experience to work closely with a variety of partners.
• Graduate degree in biological, ecology, conservation science, geography, or information sciences with 3-5 years of extensive experience with geospatial software.
• Knowledge of web mapping and ArcGIS Online.
• Knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud a plus.
• Ability to work effectively with others under pressure and tight deadlines. Capable of working independently to complete projects.
• Excellent graphical communication skills. Ability to write technical reports utilizing available resources.
• Willingness to travel throughout the project areas such as those in Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Angola and Gabon.
• Comfortable articulating and advocating for The Nature Conservancy’s conservation mission.
• Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
• Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management and natural resource preservation.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply for job ID 51743, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/ . Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org .