The Rift Valley Institute is recruiting for an early career communications professional to help enhance its public presence, particularly online. The role is part-time with some potential for future expansion (subject to funding). The candidate should be based in the UK and will work from RVI’s London office for at least 2 days per week.
As Communications and IT Administrator you will work with RVI’s Senior Publications Manager to develop RVI’s online presence, particularly through its website, publications (online and printed), social media and email updates. You will collaborate closely with research project managers from across the Institute to promote their work in the region— particularly South Sudan, Sudan, Kenya and Somalia—and also with RVI’s education team to help manage marketing and technical demands associated with our bespoke and annual courses.
The ideal candidate will have some prior experience working in a similar role and an interest in eastern, central and the Horn of Africa. If based in the UK, occasional travel to the region, particularly Kenya, is likely in future. You will be happy working as a member of a small team in a dynamic and diverse organization with a global reach.
Website management (30%)
- Ensure the Institute’s website—www.riftvalley.net—is regularly updated with news, publications (reports, briefings and blogs), projects, events and vacancies.
- Manage any maintenance and improvements to the website through the content management system or using web-developers where necessary.
- Liaise with colleagues to ensure that any static webpages, including information on RVI programmes and projects, new staff, Fellows, courses, and general information about the Institute remain up-to-date.
- Support programmes to develop written, video and audio material.
- Monitor website use via Google Analytics.
Social media (25%)
- Manage output from the Institute’s social media accounts, particularly Twitter and Facebook, to promote RVI’s work.
- Curate and coordinate inputs from across the Institute, and post on platforms.
- Manage RVI’s social media style guide, update the guide as necessary and ensure consistency across platforms.
- Develop strategies for increasing the Institute’s presence on social media, including via new channels such as Instagram.
Publications and outreach (20%)
- Assist the Publications Manager in developing content for digital platforms, principally blogs and news pieces for the website.
- Compile and distribute RVI’s newsletter and programme updates via email to the Institute’s mailing lists.
- Assist with editorial work on publications when needed.
- Develop, in consultation with the Education and Forum Team, marketing material for RVI courses and events, including brochures, paid advertisements, and social media and email campaigns.
Publication Design (15%)
- Use InDesign to design and typeset RVI publications. Where necessary work with external designers to develop RVI publication templates (reports, briefings etc).
- Support the development and application of graphics.
IT management (10%)
- Manage RVI’s Google suite.
- Manage RVI software subscriptions and related payment schedules.
- Advise on and purchase IT hardware (laptops, screens etc) and software.
- Educated to undergraduate level.
- Native or fluent English speaker.
- Experience with Drupal website content management system and HTML.
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Cloud—InDesign and Photoshop.
- Experience with Google Suite and MS Suite.
- Experience with Mailchimp digital marketing.
- Experience of social media platforms for work purposes, including (but not restricted to) Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Experience of writing and editing website content.
- Ability to work as part of a small team.
- Experience working in a related role—INGO or similar—with responsibility for communications, website management, social media, IT support and publication design.
- Interest in and / or experience working in or on eastern Africa and central Africa.
- Ability to work in a second language, particularly Swahili, Arabic, Somali or French.
How to apply
Apply online at https://riftvalley.net/vacancyjob/communications-and-it-administrator. For further information see www.riftvalley.net or write to email@example.com.
Applicants must submit a CV, a cover letter explaining their interest in, and suitability for the position, and the names of two references. Only selected, qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. RVI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.