- Job TypeFull Time
- QualificationBA/BSc/HND , MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience6 years
- Job FieldProject Management
The Development Director will assist the Executive Director in providing leadership, direction, and management for major fundraising programs. She/he will individually be responsible for donor acquisition, retention and stewardship with clear fundraising targets. She/he will also ensure administrative oversight of major gifts, corporate and foundation fundraising, annual giving, capital campaigns to meet the fundraising targets of the Foundation. The Development Director will be specifically responsible for the supervision of the development team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work in collaboration with the Executive Director to develop short- and long-range strategic plans for fundraising.
- Design strategies and coordinate programs necessary to ensure continued fundraising success by creating a pipeline of donors, soliciting and closing, making analysis, and recommendations to the Executive Director on prioritization, planning, and policy issues in the area of development.
- Participate actively in fundraising and oversee individual giving (alumni, parents) and other special constituencies with the goal of inspiring new levels of engagement, commitment, and philanthropic support for the University.
- Ensure that Advancement policies and procedures are in accordance with best practices, and provide leadership and management of campus-wide development activities in consultation with the Deans and Directors of individual colleges, schools, or institutes.
- Guide the preparation and submission of proposals for new and renewed support to major gift prospects, including the review of all proposals submitted by the major gifts team.
- Ensure that policies and practices comply with all state laws, regulatory requirements, SU policy and donor instructions; and, oversee systems for proper and transparent recording of major gifts to ensure accountability and timely stewardship;
- Oversee fiscal management, report metrics, manage effective gift closure and maintain a focus on achievement of goals, while minimizing the cost per shilling gift ratio.
- In partnership with Communications team, formulate clear and compelling communications to audiences.
- Work closely with the Executive Director to develop and evaluate annual budgets necessary to support fundraising activities and, seek creative ways to ensure staff members have the information and necessary resources they require to effectively fulfil their duties.
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- A Postgraduate Degree in an appropriate area of specialization from an accredited institution
- Being a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) would be an added advantage
- At least 6 years of fundraising experience. The fundraising experience should be in at least three of the following areas: Development, Fundraising, Advancement Services, Alumni and Donor Relations, and Gift Planning
- Demonstrated ability to create fund-raising strategies tied to a broader institutional vision and educational objectives
- Deep understanding of and appreciation for the philanthropic process and individual giving behaviours combined with direct solicitation experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of the legal and ethical aspects of fundraising and obligations to donors and their intents
- Demonstrated progressively responsible experience in development operations with a proven record of successful fundraising and effective staff development, preferably in higher education
- Track record of significant personal success in identification, research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospects and donors at principal gift levels and securing significant gifts
- Experience in a fourth generation not-for-profit institution or organization where an inventive, proactive approach is needed for success
Competencies and Attributes
- Attention to Detail
- Excellent Communication skills – Oral and Written
- Decision Making Skills
- Planning and Organization Skills
- Good presentation and negotiation skills
- Collaborative team player/excellent inter-personal skills
- The ability to prevent and/or solve problems with flexibility, timeliness and creativity
- Experience in setting clear and effective objectives against which work can be planned
Closing: July 4 2022
Method of Application
Are you qualified for this position and interested in working with us? We would like to hear from you. Kindly send us a copy of your updated resume and letter of application (ONLY) quoting the position on the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org