The Aquaya Institute is a non-profit research and consulting organization dedicated to improving health in the developing world. We deliver the knowledge and tools that are required to achieve universal access to safe water and sanitation.
Aquaya is one of the only organizations in the water sector that combines proven innovations in scien…
Read more about this company
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job FieldMedia / Advertising / Branding
About the position
We are recruiting an Editorial Manager for a full-time position based in Nairobi. The Editorial Manager will report to Aquaya’s Senior Operations Manager, but will work closely with staff across the organization. The primary function of the Editorial Manager is to oversee Junior Editors who will be collecting, organizing, and analyzing information about international water, sanitation, and hygiene related data. This information will feed into Project W, a data hub and future home for comprehensive WASH analytics and sector knowledge and contribute to inherent Aquaya intelligence assets. We are searching for an individual who is detail-oriented, has excellent communication skills, and is eager to learn new methods and technologies. The Editorial Manager will be responsible for the following key activities:
- Assist in hiring of Junior Editors
- Supervise a team of Junior Editors
- Assist in development of best practices and documentation to train and mentor Junior Editors
- Identify and describe water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) data from international and domestic stakeholders.
- Support the establishment of methods for analytical enhancements to the information.
Criteria for the position
The following qualifications are necessary for this position:
- Master’s degree – preference for studies in data/computer science, or environmental science/engineering
- Familiarity with the water and sanitation sector, including international institutions and typical domestic entities
- 2+ years of work experience working closely with a small team.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail and accuracy.
- Motivated self-starter with a strong results orientation.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, unstructured environment.
- Advanced Excel Workbook and technology skills.
- Commitment to living in Nairobi on a full-time basis. Working remotely or maintaining a part-time residency in Nairobi are not options for this position. Some considerations will be made during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude and a good sense of humor!
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position, with an initial 1-month probationary period as a contractor. Successful candidates will be offered full-time employment following the first month. Aquaya offers competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience. Candidates successful beyond the first month will be eligible for benefits, including medical insurance and enrollment in a pension plan.