Santam Limited is the largest short-term insurer in South Africa, with a market share in excess of 22%, providing short-term insurance products through broker networks and direct sales channels. The company was established in 1918 and offers personal, commercial, and corporate insurance solutions. Santam is a subsidiary of Sanlam Limited and has been listed …
Read more about this company
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience10 years
- LocationNot specified
- Job FieldFinance / Accounting / Audit
Santam is looking for a suitably qualified and experienced Finance Manager – Crop Insurance. The position will be based in Bloemfontein offices.
- To maintain, record and report on the SBU’s financial activities, which include the budget, financial income statement and financial controls, according to generally accepted accounting practice, both internally and externally.
- To manage, coach and develop a team of Accountants and Financial Clerks.
- The successful candidate must have the potential to take over any additional managerial responsibilities in crop insurance when opportunities arise.
What will make you successful in this role?
- Preparation of Quarterly Board reports.
- Maintain general ledger accounts.
- Prepare preliminary monthly financial results for SBU.
- Extract information from internal financial system for compiling monthly Bordereaux.
- Perform ad hoc analysis on financial results as requested by SBU management .
- Calculate cancellation reserve monthly, with explanatory notes for deviations from budget and historical information.
- Prepare summary of premiums and claims per line of business.
- Provide actuaries with historical information for calculating UPP factors for the new season.
- Monthly reconciliation of control accounts using various extracts and cashbook entries for submission to Santam HO Finance Department.
- Facilitate and manage budget process for SBU ensuring that all managers adhere to timelines.
- Manage legal actions regarding unpaid premium.
- Monthly payment of commission to brokers and advisors.
Qualifications and Experience
- BCom – Accounting or comparable qualification
- At least 10 years in a business financial environment
- Experience in an insurance environment is recommended
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of accounting – generally accepted accounting practice.
- Implement controls and exercise internal control over all financial functions.
- Monthly reconciliations and reporting.
- Reconcile all information at Ledger level.
- Knowledge of personal computer as well as certain software programs.
- Accounting System Knowledge
- Basic knowledge of Companies Act and tax legislation
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, Power Point)
- Accounting System Knowledge
- Basic knowledge of Companies Act and tax legislation.
- Able to work under constant pressure.
- Must be deadline-oriented.
- Able to make decisions promptly, bearing in mind the consequences.
- Able to multi-task.
- Able to deal with regular interruptions.
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Interpersonal and client service skills
- Team player