JRS Counselling Psychologist Jobs in Kenya
- JRS is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the position of counselling Psychologist.
- As part of the JRS Inclusive Education Department in Kakuma, this position will work to observe and assess the behavioral, social, emotional and educational problems and needs of children and young people below the age of 18 year placed in the JRS inclusive education programs in Kakuma refugee camp.
- JRS is aiming at reinforcing the interventions to children with intellectual and multiple disabilities in Kakuma and Kalobeyei camps.
- Under the supervision of Inclusive Education Coordinator, Counselling Psychologist will work with school administrators, teachers, children, parents and the multi-disciplinary education assessment team.
- The incumbent will also support at the Safe shelters in providing counselling session on need basis.Major Duties and Responsibilities
- assess children’s learning and emotional needs
- design, develop and support therapeutic and behavior management programmes
- consult with multi-agency teams to advise on the best approaches and provisions to support learning and development
- support parents, teachers and others involved with the education of children and young people
- design and develop projects involving children and young people
- write reports making recommendations on action to be taken
- advise, persuade, support and negotiate with teachers, parents and other education professionals
- attend case conferences involving multidisciplinary teams on how best to meet the social, emotional, behavioural and learning needs of the children and young people in your care
- prioritize effectiveness – the context and environment that influence the child’s development are seen as increasingly important
- conduct active research
- formulate interventions that focus on applying knowledge, skills and expertise to support local and national initiatives
develop and apply effective interventions to promote psychological wellbeing, social, emotional and behavioural development, and to raise educational standards.
- Develop child therapy tools and carries out for children in the safe shelters.
- Develop/update training modules on counselling and methodologies and carry out training to incentive staff to assist in the implementation of program services.
assessment, guidance and in-service training to the incentive staff.
- Support the Safe shelters on need basis, in counselling clients
- Maintaining good working relationships with support networks, implementing partners, and community resources.
- Offer any other support in the project as may be required.Education:
- A diploma/degree Psychology or Counselling Psychology with a minimum of 2 years in related work experience
- In-depth understanding of psychometric assessments for childrenDesirable computer literacy (Word, Excel and Internet)
- The ability to relate to children and young adults
- Ability to cope with emotional situations
- Excellent listening
- Observational skills
- Verbal communication skills
- Empathy and rapportCompetencies
- Results and Quality orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Behavioral Flexibility
- Commitment to JRS core values
- Stress ManagementHow to Apply
- Please send your CV and a cover letter in one document that indicates what skills , experience you have that meets the criteria ,your availability and expected salary. The CV (maximum 3 pages) should include contacts (phone and email) for three professional referees. Please note that only official email addresses for referees will be accept. Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application to
- firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 3rd January 2021 with Subject line Counselling Psychologist**.PLEASE NOTE: due to urgent need to fill this vacant position, we will be reviewing the application as we receive. Only candidates who apply by the deadline and who can demonstrate technical experience in inclusive education should apply. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.