|Location:||Cape Town, Salt River|
|Company:||Red & Yellow|
We are looking for an experienced, passionate lecturer to join our academic team to teach and mentor the next generation of Red & Yellow game changers at our Cape Town campus. As a lecturer in your field of expertise, you will take full responsibility for the academic performance and functioning of your modules. You will be required to work closely with the Heads of the Department and the lecturing team to maintain, develop and grow Red &Yellow’s respected programme offering. Red & Yellow offers flexible schedules and a competitive salary.
- An NQF Level 8 qualification (Honours or Postgraduate Diploma), preferably in the field of Visual Communications, is a minimum requirement. Preference will be given to candidates with a Masters degree, or who are registered for a Masters degree nearing completion, in a relevant field.
- Minimum two to four years of teaching experience in a tertiary environment.
- Relevant industry experience in the main subject area (Graphic Design) – evidenced in a creative portfolio – is a minimum requirement.
- Additional experience in having studied, practiced and taught Art Direction and/or Illustration and/or user-centred Design and/ or Digital Design.
- A network of industry or academic professionals to offer students practical and real-world exposure.
- Evidence of creative and practical pedagogical practices previously used.
Responsibilities and duties
This position will require, but is not limited, to the following activities:
- The convenorship and lecturing of two visual communication modules in graphic design in our BA in visual communications – as well as other practical modules in the BA or other programmes: this could include Illustration, digital design, art direction or user-centred design (depending on the applicant’s skills set and capacity, and students numbers)
- The lecturing of basic design history and theory content blocks and the presenting of guest lectures in other modules, dependent on student numbers and capacity
- Develop and update the curriculum for the modules assigned to you, aligned to Red & Yellow’s teaching style, including, but not limited to, lesson planning, tutorial content and planning, tests, assessments and exams
- Lecture and conduct tutorials as part of the full-time programme offering
- Participate in the monitoring and evaluation of the academic programme, including attendance and maintenance of student records
- Liaise with academic colleagues/relevant industry contacts to ensure ongoing development and relevance
- Participate in the annual upgrade of programme content, where relevant
- Conduct, marking and moderation processes, participating in internal and external moderation processes where necessary
- Participate in student application and registration processes, where relevant
- Participate in examination and certification processes and promotion of students
- Attend regular staff meetings and relevant faculty events
- Ensure both hard and electronic filing of all required documentation, including tracking and reporting on at-risk students
- Participate in student grievance and disciplinary sessions, where relevant
- Lecture in accordance with the requirements of the programme outcomes and in accordance with the accredited programme outlines
- Benchmarking of programme offerings against other relevant higher education institutions
- Adhere to centralised policies and procedures that ensure outstanding quality and unquestionable integrity of all academic programmes that are offered
- Assist with relevant marketing activities for the school (i.e. Open days etc.)
- Serve on academic/regulatory committees
What you’ll need
- Strong communication skills and the ability to lead, command, inspire and contribute to Red & Yellow’s vision
- Self-driven and motivated with excellent administrative and time management skills
- Competent in Microsoft Office and Google Docs, Spreadsheets and Presentation tools
- Solid competency in at least four Adobe software packages – i.e. Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign, Dimension, XD, After Effects, Premier Pro, Dreamweaver.
- Growth Mindset: to study and develop further skills and competencies in order to grow with the school
- Resilience and adaptability in a dynamic and fast-changing environment
- Proven competency in driving collaborative academic-industry initiatives
- Ability to work as part of a team in a dynamic environment
- A portfolio of creative work in your area of expertise
If you feel you’ve got what it takes to join Red & Yellow, we want to hear from you! Please apply with your CV, proof of academic qualifications and a motivation letter aligning yourself to the requirements of the role before the 15 November 2020.