- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience3 years
- Job FieldLaw / Legal
The job holder, under the general guidance of the Chief Legal Officers shall be responsible for providing legal advice to management, business units, corporate departments and employees of KenGen to promote and protect the company’s best interest and to ensure company’s legal and contract risks are properly managed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and file legal documents at court registries, such as plaints, statements of defenses, response to claims, appeals, list of documents and witnesses, witness statements, bundle of documents, applications, etc.
- Represent the Company in courts , tribunals, and before government agencies.
- Conduct pre-trial briefings and site visits.
- Conduct research and analysis of legal matters they are handling.
- Communicate with colleagues, judges and others involved in the court case.
- Interpret laws, rulings and proffer legal opinions.
- Prepare letters and general correspondences as regards matters they are handling.
- Present facts in writing and verbally to their clients or others, and argue on behalf of their clients
- Engage in amicable settlement of disputes.
- Provide guidance, advice, and/or training and educational programs, to improve business understanding of related laws and regulatory requirements.
- Provide legal advice to all Departments of the Company in various areas including but not limited to commercial and corporate transactions for protection of the Company’s interests.
- Liaise with Company advocates and ensure efficient and proper provision of legal advice and consultancy services.
- Draw, negotiate, vet and ensure execution of contracts and agreements emanating from all departments of the Company.
- Advice on legal soundness of each contract.
- Ensure conditions under the contract are strictly adhered to.
- Conduct legal research and analysis on various areas of law as may be assigned from time to time.
- Draw leases and other conveyancing documents relating to properties in the Company.
- Assist the Company to recover its’ debts from both the large and small power consumers.
- Making claims from the banks of those debtors who are large power consumers and have valid guarantees.
- Instructing external lawyers to sue for recovery of debts from the consumers.
- Follow up in consultation with external lawyers to ensure that debt recovery cases in courts are concluded and judgments enforced.
- Carry out the responsibility of all secretarial functions and provide the guidance required for compliance with statutory legislation and regulatory issues as may be appropriate to the Company’s business.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law from a recognized Institution.
- Atleast three (3) years working experience in a large corporation
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law.
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya .
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya in good standing
- Proficiency in computer applications.
- Fulfil the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya