Africa’s Voices emerged out of four years of research at the University of Cambridge’s Centre for Governance and Human Rights (CGHR), on Politics and Interactive Media in Africa. With strong interest from initial collaborators, in 2014 Africa’s Voices launched as an independent, non-profit research organisation and registered UK charity….
Read more about this company
Media and Engagement Officer
- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience2 years
- Job FieldMedia / Advertising / Branding
AVF is seeking an experienced Media and Engagement Officer, detail-oriented, and enthusiastic professional to join our growing team to support the media functions. The assignment involves devising engaging content based on AVF’s analysis of audience feedback across multiple platforms (radio and social media). Further, the assignment involves performing media production and dissemination of AVF’s analysis and insights into the broader production process, and ensure that the communications activities are aligned with AVF’s theory of change. The Media and Engagement Officer will report to the Senior Programme Manager, Citizen Evidence for Social Change while working closely with the Senior Media Specialist.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Build and maintain a network of relationships with the Media sector contacts in Kenya including management of a comprehensive media contacts database and understanding Kenya media landscape;
- Work with the project partners in producing content (including radio scripts) for use in the interactive radio space;
- Act as a focal contact person for AVF and media houses in Kenya especially in negotiating for radio shows rates;
- Responsible for drafting media/radio and drama scripts/preparing broadcast material for the various interactive radio programs aired for the projects you support with a consideration of the projects’ objectives and target audience;
- Lead the media and engagement design for projects you support;
- In charge of developing creative ways to drive engagements on projects;
- Establish and maintain relationships with third parties/vendors;
- Monitor and evaluate perform risk management to minimize project risks and ensure close follow up where gaps are identified;
- Identify radio guests, preparing documentation for business operations and brief them on the weekly topics as well as monitor their performance;
- Support in developing communication framework for assigned projects to guide content development;
- Any other duties that may be assigned.
- Key competencies
- Able to work collaboratively with different stakeholders.
- Knowledgeable in technical expertise in project management and media engagement, risk management and negotiation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Education & Media Expertise and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in development studies, media, journalism or related social science.
- At least 2 years experience in media (especially broadcast) production, scripting and editing.
- A strong background in Social and Behaviour Change Communications (SBCC) is an added advantage.
- Experience in implementing media for development projects in Kenya, and good knowledge of the Kenyan context.
- Good background of the media space in Kenya with potential contacts for media houses.
- Experience in cultivating, managing and monitoring audience engagement through SMS platforms and/or social media channels, and/or any other format.
- Experience in working on research processes as part of content production, and highly skilled at rapid analysis and insightful communication of research of findings to inform production processes.
- Able to work under pressure against tight deadlines.
- Can work as part of a team in a multicultural environment, and support effectively. communications in a decentralised team and working remotely.
- Fluent in English and Swahili.
Method of Application
Please send your CV and Cover Letter explaining your experience and why you are interested in working for AVF and in this position, and how you fulfil the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Media and Engagement Officer” in the title of your email.
It is mandatory that you include your daily rate in USD in your cover letter.
It is mandatory to Submit only 1 PDF document. The CV, cover letter, and any other attachments should be in PDF format and combined into one document.
The application deadline is 5.00PM (EAT) on Tuesday 2nd March, 2021.For