- Job TypeFull Time
- Experience5 years
- Job FieldSales / Marketing / Retail / Business Development
We are looking for an outstanding Merchandising manager who will be responsible for working within the Senior Management Team contributing to the brand strategy and developing ways to build the brand and its image, strengthen market position and increase profits. He/she is responsible for delivery of sales and profit targets in order to execute a well-conceived product strategy.
Operates as a Senior Business Manager
- Analyse trading patterns, advise teams and ensure appropriate action is taken to unforeseen sales reactions
- Guides the teams and agrees on department’s strategies prior to CEO’s sign off
- Operate an effective/timely product sign off process, appropriate for product lead-time – “Buying Calendar”
- Develop a sound supply policy for the Brand, striving for consistent best practice partnerships, foresee future weaknesses/needs and suggest possible solutions
- Offer advice and helps find solutions to the wide range of issues encountered by the teams – acts as trouble-shooter
- Review trade on a regular basis and write reports to present at an appropriate level – weekly, monthly etc.
Provides Product Direction
- Play a core role in the creation of category budgets and forecasts against which category performance is formed and managed.
- Manage stock to ensure flow, availability and sell through is managed in accordance with the category plan, driving sales, managing stock investment over time.
- Oversee price management processes to ensure customer value for money, balanced in relation to supplier and brand sensitivities.
- Oversee the category strategic development over time, managing the review process and driving range reviews in line with the critical path for that category
- Work closely with Design to generate, and communicate key product direction
- Display an in-depth, customer-focused knowledge of market and trends
- Oversee range development – ensures that the product reflects the Brand strategy, the range is without gaps or duplication, and that the season is logically and commercially thought through
- Ensure that the correct level of newness/high fashion is present, and that volume lines are maximised and ‘moved on’ at the appropriate time
- Ensure that product reviews are held with senior management at the appropriate time for product sign-off
- Oversee department reviewing process to maximise opportunities and minimise risks of key events/trends/promotions
- Work with the Senior Management Team and Marketing to develop strong and consistent marketing messages/Brand image
- Agree on visual merchandising guidelines/fixtures/packaging with teams prior to Managing Director sign off – ensures they are implemented in a timely manner.
- Strategically plans, directs and coordinates activities, pertaining to buying
- Develops and maintains buying development and strategy in accordance with the reports presented by the Data Analyst and Junior Buyer with the directions of the Head of Marketing.
- Understand retail environment and needs and use this knowledge to impact the assortment
- Lead the warehouse and act as the primary business leader for planning and managing the Category Management implementation.
- Build product strategy with the executive team.
- Build seasonal assortment flow by product/delivery.
- Create process for colour flow: timing of deliverables, flow plan and structure.
- Establish style/SKU goals
- Lead assortment building and development process to stay in line with style/SKU goals. Lead style/SKU reviews with management.
- Review and manage merchandise plan creation and maintenance.
- Disseminate the buying strategy throughout the buying divisions to achieve a variety of products range and a wide product mix across the buying divisions, with consideration of the budgets, client needs, and emerging market trends
- Identify and manage any new buying categories when needed
- Monitor the performance of the buying division and evaluate its progress
- Select merchandise
- Establish retail price
- Review and approve the contracts that governs the company’s relation with suppliers.
Develops a High Performing Team
- With Senior Management team, defines and communicates clear vision of the future – translates into understandable goals and targets
- Builds a strong team with a focus on succession planning
- Provides positive leadership supporting Brand/company policy/strategy and encourages others to do so
- Develops skills of the team – identifies individual training needs as well as encourages effective teamwork
- Deals with team performance issues promptly and appropriately, partnering with HR when required
- Motivates team – gives recognition and praise
- Preempts the need for, and manages change – supporting teams throughout process
- Provides individual support to new team members – ensures a full induction is provided and adequate support given during their learning curve.
- Acts in pivotal role for the Managing Director, teams and internal functions to coordinate projects and provide two-way communication
- Works closely with Retail Brand Management to agree layouts/fixtures/model store etc
- Brand packs – assisting the Managing Director in producing packs for Board review, presenting at meetings
- Builds and maintains a strong and varied network of contacts. Communicates with all to achieve win-win situations.
NB: Please note, JD and responsibilities may change accordingly at any point in line with the e-commerce needs as well as the needs of the brand and organization.
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to rapid change.
- Strong team player and man manager – able to gain trust, respect and confidence quickly and effectively
- Creative, with an innovative thought process.
- Strong internal/external stakeholder management skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to work under minimal supervision and guidance
- Enthusiasm, energy and determination to achieve results
- Strong and convincing presentation skills – able to get ideas across quickly and effectively and gain relevant buy-in and support
- 5 years Merchandising and Inventory Management experience, preferably in the Retail sector
- Previous experience as a Buying Manager or Head of Buying within an off-price or Outlet function
- Customer-focused knowledge of market and trends
- Experience implementing complex change and acting as business lead for technology implementation
- Proven ability to successfully work in a highly cross-functional matrix environment
- Proven ability to manage an open to buy process, exceptional retail math skills
- Demonstrated experience and success with strategic planning and business planning
- Broad understanding of Category Management processes including Category Strategy, Assortment Planning, Pricing, Promotions and Space
- High level of commercial numeracy
- Proven experience in managing contract relationships successfully
- Proven ability to negotiate with suppliers in conjunction with our procurement teams
- Experience of high volume, high speed and high quality dependent requirements.
Method of Application
If you believe you are the right person for the position and would like to be a part of our team, kindly send a detailed CV and cover letter to email@example.com by January 15, 2021. The subject of your email should be “Position – (Expected Salary)” .
Please indicate your salary expectation on the subject line. Applications that do not include the salary expectation will NOT be considered.
We would love to respond to all your applications but due to a large number of applications received for advertised positions, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.