SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV signed a contract with the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DGIS) to implement a 5 year project, branded as Climate Resilient Agribusiness For Tomorrow (CRAFT), in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. SNV, in collaboration with the other consortium partners (Wageningen University & Research, CGIAR’s Climate Change, Agriculture & Food Security programme-CCAFS, Agriterra and Rabo Partnerships), as well as supply chain partners in several targeted agricultural value chains will promote climate smart agriculture (CSA) as a way to transform and reorient agricultural systems to the new realities of climate change.
The project will apply an inclusive business development approach for CSA, focusing on arable farming systems in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. CRAFT project aims for improved food security by working towards climate resilient farming systems which increase productivity under changing climatic circumstances, while reducing food waste and losses throughout the supply chain.
Overview of the Position:
The implementation strategy of the CRAFT project is based on complementary interventions at three levels: (a) farming systems, (b) inclusive value chains, and (c) the enabling environment. Technical assistance and interventions meant to target project stakeholders (farmers, SMEs, cooperatives, private sector, financial institutions, government agencies, etc.) at these different levels will be done through five different work streams that will guide the implementation process to achieve the expected results at output, outcome and impact level. These work streams include:
The cross-cutting work stream for gender and youth inclusion will emphasise targeted interventions where needed to ensure equity and inclusion through gender sensitive service provision, promotion of household/group dialogues on gender labour division and income-related decision making, as well as targeted support to women- and youth-led companies and leadership.
SNV is looking for motivated Senior Interns (three positions) to support CRAFT project implementation in the agriculture sector. SNV offers an interesting, challenging learning environment for students/ young graduates to practice their skills and gain experience in the field of Senior International development. .
• Farmers registry uploaded into MIS database for respective business champions (BC)
• Uploaded data on service provision – inputs (seeds, fertilizers, pesticides), weather forecast information, product buy-back
• Uploaded data on training – farmers, ToTs, seed growers, BC employees, service providers
• Field activity reports – back to office reports
• Quality MIS database – training, service provision, demo plots
• Inputs for CRAFT project reports
• BC quarterly progress report – milestones, results, workplans, success stories, photos
Desired Skills and attitude:
• Ability to interact with smallholder farmers for sunflower, common beans, sorghum and potato
• Willingness to travel long distances in remote rural areas
• Able to work well in a team environment with colleagues.
• Ability to quickly understand instructions, ask for clarification when needed, adapt and work independently to produce results on time.
• Good written and verbal communication skills in English and Swahili languages.
• Embracing cultural diversity
• Embracing change
• Degree in M&E, social sciences, education or agricultural related fields
• Demonstrated experience in monitoring and evaluation activities
• Good skills in data capture using “Open Data Kit” mobile applications
• Skills in data collection, data analysis and database management
• Experience in data quality checks and assessment
• Proven ability in reporting for development projects
• Experience in working with agribusinesses or agricultural projects
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested applicants please visit: Click here to apply