Make the most of your energy in a career at Schneider Electric
Schneider Electric is the global specialist in energy management. We are passionate about delivering real and innovative solutions in energy management and energy efficiency, making energy safe, reliable, efficient, productive and green.
Process Automation is a global business unit building value in today’s ever-changing industrial world by forging new connections among people, processes and technologies. Schneider Electric’s process automation solutions help our customers to drive their operations to higher value utilizing proven Schneider Electric technology and expertise enabling success.
An exciting new opportunity has arisen within our Process Automation (PA) business unit for an experienced PLC/SCADA Engineer, initially working across both project and service engineering. The successful candidate will be an active team member of an expanding Territory Engineering team that supports both East and West African PLC/SCADA opportunities, covering all process automation industries.
The position will primarily cover East Africa (EA) region including Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda and provide remote support for other African countries, particularly Nigeria. The position will be focused on PLC, SCADA and telemetry technologies.
The candidate must have proven technical and some leadership experience to allow future growth into line management as the region grows. The candidate will be expected longer term to grow into the team lead, responsible for engineering resources, including staff development, line management and mentoring.
The position will be based in Schneider Electric Nairobi office and will report to the Territory Engineering Manager operating across a balanced workload between both projects and site services.
- Lead and execute PLC/SCADA based projects across EA.
- Lead Factory and Site acceptance testing and deliver site installations from both locally and regionally executed projects.
- Supervise cabinet/panel builds in Schneider-Electric Kenya or local partner facilities
- Actively support opportunities remotely executed in other African countries destined for East African countries
- Conduct site surveys providing clear and concise reporting and updating of all installed bases
- Support the on-going growth of Projects and Services within EA by proactively supporting sales where appropriate, acting as delivery focal point and being able to present delivery capabilities.
- Support the Sales and Tendering teams in development of the submission of bids
- Support estimation of site services for start-up and commissioning on all EA projects.
- Active member of “24-hour telephone support” team, eventually supporting multiple countries
- Longer term responsibility will be to support recruitment and development of new engineering resources within engineering to accommodate changing business need
- Proven technical and working experience of PLCs and SCADA (software programming and hardware design)
- Desire to learn and act as a technical lead with high ability to share and distribute knowledge.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills due to high level of customer interfacing and staff development
- Minimum Engineering Degree (electrical, electronics, instrumentation or other accepted but with proven relevant experience)
- Minimum 3 – 5 years solid PLC/SCADA engineering experience in a project or service engineer position
- Experience in both generating and critiquing deliverable documents such as Functional Design Specifications and Factory Acceptance Test procedures for PLC based control systems
- Open and supportive personality with a genuine inquisitive nature.
- Ability to work in customer facing role supporting sales and showcasing Schneider technologies and competencies
- The position is predominantly based in Kenya. There will be a need for travel to customer’s site and offices, nationally and occasionally internationally, as and when needed
- TUV certification advantageous, but not essential
- Telemetry experience advantageous, but not essential
- Experience of supervising cabinet/panel design and build will be advantageous.
- PLC migration and upgrade experience, highly advantageous
- Multi-vendor PLC platform experience, highly advantageous
- Valid driving license
How to apply