- Job TypeFull Time
- Job FieldEducation / Teaching , Internships / Volunteering
Reports to: Head Teacher
Location: Kakuma Refugee Camp
Lutheran World Federation World Service Kenya Program is seeking to recruit Kenyan nationals for the following position to be based in Kakuma.
Reporting to the Head teacher, the teacher will teach and oversee school academic progress for learners, support professional development of refugee teachers, assess learners to track and report on learning outcomes, provide psychosocial support and ensure inclusivity in all school activities.
Duties and responsibilities of a Primary school Teacher Intern
- Prepare for and teach lessons assigned to him/her
- Enforce inclusive education programs reducing/eliminating barriers for inclusion of children with disabilities in regular schools
- Ensure all teaching and learning materials available in schools are distributed equitably, used efficiently and recorded well
- Teach subjects of specialization to impart knowledge, skills and attitudes to learners;
- Evaluate learners in subjects of specialization and prepare them for national and other examinations;
- Assist head teacher and deputy head teacher to upload learners’ details on online data systems including NEMIS, conduct surveys and other related tasks, including registration of candidates for national examinations
- Support child protection by identifying, referring/supporting children with protection concerns and providing psychosocial support
- Work with protection focal teachers and teacher counsellors to improve safety and hild protection in schools and community
- Coordinate gender mainstreaming issues for teachers and learners in curricular and co-curricular activities such as sports to ensure gender equity, equitable participation and maximization of potential of teachers and learners;
- Manage digital learning and e-learning devices used in learning processes
- Collect, collate and maintain all school records such as enrolment, teaching and learning resources, evaluation records and attendance registers;
- Ensure discipline in school is maintained and arbitrate any disputes;
- Supervise cleanliness of the school compound and ensure the learners are tidy;
- Embrace teamwork through collaborative planning and teaching to ensure consistency and improvement in curriculum delivery;
- Serve as a role model and maintain learner discipline to create conducive environment for learning
- Engage learners in curricular and co-curricular activities so as to identify, nurture and develop talents;
Requirements for appointment
A teacher must:-
- Have Primary teacher Education certificate.
- Be registered with TSC and in possession of TSC teacher certificate
Personal Attributes for the above post
- Ability to manage and use e-learning/digital devices for teaching and learning, prepare and upload learner content on devices, data collection and analysis
- Experience of working in refugee schools or with refugee community in the camp or urban set up.
- Exemplary guidance and counselling skills, and experience in provision of psychosocial support
- Passionate for inclusive education and girl’s education program
- Ability to tolerate cultural, educational and religious diversity in the work place.