Ilara Health is participating in a maternal health project run jointly with the Kisumu Ministry of Health and funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation aimed at improving antenatal care (ANC) and postnatal care (PNC). Maternal mortality remains a significant public health problem in Kenya; especially in Kisumu County, where the maternal mortality ratio is nearly double the national average. COVID-19 has made provision of ANC/PNC services more difficult and resulted in an increase in negative maternal health outcomes.This is exacerbated by the heightened stigma and fear existing during the pandemic, as patients view health centers as high-risk hot spots for infection. This project aims to improve ANC/PNC services through a decentralized model that leverages Ilara’s diagnostic and telemedicine capabilities to deliver improved care.
Ilara was founded to bring diagnostic support and essential tests to patients and providers who currently are unable to access these basic life-saving tools. We partner with companies that are disrupting the diagnostic device landscape, integrate their devices into our tech platform, and offer this diagnostic package plus smart financing to health facilities in peri-urban areas across Africa. As a result, our facilities are now able to offer their patients essential tests through our affordable, tech-enabled, point of care (POC) diagnostic suite.
You’ll be joining a fast-paced startup environment and contribute to projects that will have a real impact on health outcomes.
We’re all super passionate about the work we do, and are looking for people with a drive to make real change in the world.
About the role
In this role, you’ll be focused on delivering software products for our maternal health project to ensure that thousands of mothers receive essential services at a time when access to health is limited due to COVID-19. You will be responsible for working with Ilara’s management team, stakeholders from the Gates Foundation and MOH and third parties to develop, and execute on, the product vision for the project – you will own the project’s software components. You’ll work with two dedicated engineers to translate project requirements into technical specifications and be responsible for setting and meeting project milestones.
While this project is separate from Ilara’s core commercial development, you’ll be a full member of Ilara’s team, work closely with the rest of the team, and have the option to be involved in other projects, time and interest permitting. When the maternal project concludes, you’ll be integrated fully into the rest of the team.
- Take ownership for the development and adoption of the suite of products that Ilara is building for this project by combining a user-focused approach with an in-depth understanding the high-level project requirements
- Play an active role in working with stakeholders to translate project requirements into product specs
- Lead user experience research to develop design requirements
- Work with project engineers to develop a tech roadmap and tech requirements
- Manage communication between the tech team and other project teams
- Rapidly iterate based on feedback from project stakeholders
- If you’re technical, jump in and contribute code, when needed
- 3+ years of product experience (product manager, engineering manager/lead, UX lead or related experience)
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with experience shipping and managing tech products in production
- Experience generating product requirements from stakeholders and user research/feedback
- Experience distilling complex product requirements into simple and effective product specifications
- Solid interview skills
- Experience conducting user research in the field a plus
- Background building and/or managing health products a plus
- Technical background a plus
- You have entrepreneurial drive, creativity, are resourceful and have a sense of humour
- You get energy from working with a mission-driven team who are passionate about improving healthcare in Kenya
How to Apply