- March 15, 2021
- March 19, 2021
- Full Time Jobs in Zimbabwe
- Ngo & Social Services Jobs
Start date: 01 April 2021 Duration: 9 months with possibility of extension based on funding and performance
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
Working in disasters and providing humanitarian assistance in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner communities to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. Mercy Corps has been operational in Zimbabwe since 2003 implementing programs in WASH, Agriculture, Livelihoods and social protection. The organization has wide experience in both rural and urban WASH programming in Zimbabwe.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps Zimbabwe is currently implementing an urban resilience and social assistance program through cash transfers to the most food-insecure households in Mutare and Rusape. Cash transfers support the well-being of vulnerable households in each domain to help them mitigate the short and long term effects of shocks and stresses. A resilience intervention is being rolled out in Mutare urban targeting people assisted under the social assistance intervention. Mercy Corps puts resilience at the core of its strategy to contribute to the wellbeing of Zimbabweans by building communities’ capacities and strengthening systems and institutions.
General Position Summary
The Protection and Accountability Officer is responsible for leading and planning implementation of activities designed to enhance food security and resilience for women at household and community level through increased knowledge, understanding, and contribution to changes in social norms. S/he provides capacity building and technical assistance related to Protection and gender issues and women’s empowerment under the Mercy Corps Urban Resilience project for project participants, project staff, and key stakeholders. The incumbent will also be responsible for assisting in refining the program design and implementation of all components of the project related to the intersection of gender issues, women’s empowerment and food security. The Protection and Accountability Officer will work closely with program staff to ensure program quality and impact in line with the goals and objectives of the project.
Duties And Responsibilities
Essential Job Responsibilities
● Lead in the design and implementation of activities focused on the intersection of accountability, gender and community empowerment
● Establish and maintain a comprehensive accountability system for the project including complaints and response mechanisms (CRMs), complaints database, etc
• Ensure all cases are closed and document how feedback is used to inform program implementation.
• Ensure that the project meets/complies to the Mercy Corps Zimbabwe CARM Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
● Manage the production of gender, protection and accountability related reports and advocacy across the humanitarian response to better foreground the voices of affected populations
● Ensuring effective coordination and influencing with other humanitarian responders, including representing MC at coordination meetings
● Act as the protection project focal point and technical adviser for gender, accountability, CHS and related issues, such as PSEA and protection
● Lead in the documentation of learning and production of human interest stories
● Lead the development of a detailed implementation plan for gender and accountability activities
● Work closely with field teams to ensure mainstreaming of gender and accountability throughout the project cycle
● Assist management in stakeholder engagement taking a leading role in preparing and organising donor/partner visits
● Interact with communities participating under the Mercy Corps Urban Resilience program to assist in establishing solid foundations for quick but responsible community-oriented recovery assistance.
● Act as the focal point responsible for capacity building and mentoring Mercy Corps Manicaland field staff in accountability, and gender.
● Assist with overall program development and future proposals for program follow-on activity.
● Lead capacity building of project staff on protection and accountability, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
● Promote gender and accountability learning within the project team
● Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
● As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
● Support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
● Conduct him/herself in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Reports Directly To: Program Manager
Works Directly With: Project teams and CARM and MEL Advisor
Qualifications And Experience
Knowledge and Experience
● BA Degree in Gender, Social Sciences or a related field of study, MSc preferred
● 3 years’ experience working in protection and accountability including experience challenging social norms
● Experience in managing CRMs and developing GBV prevention and mitigation pathways
● Proven experience in Gender and Accountability training, mobilizing community groups, managing multiple project activities, and leading and motivating a diverse team.
● The successful candidate will have a well-developed ability to conceptualize, plan and implement program activities creatively, as well as the ability to analyse data, scale up and utilize lessons learned for the continuous improvement of program implementation.
● Fluency in English verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills are necessary.
● Report writing skills and the ability to make recommendations for improvement.
● Must be able to work independently and show initiative.
● Strong computer skills (MS Office), filing, and organizational skills.
● Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members is required.
● Candidate must be willing to travel and work in difficult conditions.
● Knowledge of Sphere standards and other training in humanitarian response preferred
The Protection and Accountability Officer must be a conscientious worker with an excellent sense of judgement. Has the ability to multi-task and to work effectively with a wide stakeholder as well as to work under pressure. Must possess relevant experience for the position. Has the ability to work as both a technical lead and part of a team coordinating with project personnel.
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate the highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action that may lead to termination.
How To Apply
You need to write an application letter then copy, paste and respond to the following statement.
Mercy Corps is committed to the community members we work with and the beneficiaries we serve. As part of this commitment, Mercy Corps has zero tolerance for violations of our Code of Conduct (Sexual Abuse of Beneficiaries and Community Members (PSEA), Anti-Trafficking Policy, Child Safeguarding Policy, Mercy Corps Ethics Complaint and Whistleblower Policy, Sexual Misconduct in the Workplace Policy, Discrimination, Harassment and Bullying Policy, and Anti-Fraud and Corruption).
1. I agree to adhere to and be an ambassador of Mercy Corps’ Code of Conduct policies.
❏ I agree – (Required Check Box)
2. I confirm that throughout my professional career I have not violated an employer’s Code of Conduct.
❏ I have not violated an employer’s Code of Conduct
❏ I have violated an employer’s Code of Conduct
All applications to be sent to email@example.com on or before 19 March 2021.
Applications should be clearly marked with the position applied for in the email subject line.
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity organization and encourages both female and male candidates to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Shortlisting will proceed as applications are received.