Pwani University began as Kilifi Institute of Agriculture in 1984 though the first intake of 200 students for the Two Year Certificate Course in Agriculture and Home Economics was in July 1987. By 2007, Kilifi Institute of Agriculture had graduated 3,837 students. The Institute also hosted a number of Masters and PhD research students from other national un…
Read more about this company
Public Relations and Media Officer
- Job TypeFull Time
- Job FieldMedia / Advertising / Branding
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION OF PUBLIC RELATIONS AND MEDIA OFFICER GRADE 12
Appointment to this position is either on permanent and pensionable terms or on a three (3)-year renewable performance-based contract, depending on age, citizenship or any other reason.
The candidate must have a minimum of a Bachelors Degree in any of the following specialisations;
- Public Relations or
- Media Studies or
- Journalism or
- Communications or
- Marketing or
- Any other equivalent qualifications from a recognised university with a Minimum KCSE Mean Grade C+ or equivalent qualification.
In addition, the candidate must:
- Be a registered member (minimum at an Associate Member level) of the Public Relations Society of
- Have at least five (5) years relevant working experience (post qualification experience) in a Public Relation Office in a university setting or busy organisation with proven integrity, honesty, independence, innovativeness and compliance to deadlines.
Interested applicants should possess the following:-
- Computer literacy skills including use of graphic communication (videography and photography).
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Good communication (spoken) and creative writing skills
- Writing press releases and speeches
- Leadership and Managerial skills
- Networking and Marketing skill
- Organisational and Time Management skills with the ability to multi task
- Creativity, imagination and initiative skills
- Good teamwork, analytical and problem-solving skills.
In addition the candidate should
- Show active involvement in International/Continental/Regional /National/ Local/Community activities
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of university policies and regulations regarding public events and public disclosures, and the intricacies of governmental actions.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the history, administrative structure and activities of public universities and current affairs
- Be self-driven, flexible and able to work under pressure
- Show business acumen
Duties and Responsibilities
The officer will perform the following duties and responsibilities
- Respond to media enquiries.
- Document press release and media supplements.
- Prepare media coverage report
- Conduct public fact-filling
- Inform the public of events and initiatives.
- Organise media events and promotional activities.
- Organising special events
- Train and mentor junior staff
- Create engaging media during key University events.
- Undertake related duties assigned by the Corporate Affairs and Marketing Officer.
- Participate in formulation of relevant policies
- Coordinate in implementation of legislative requirement
- Perform any other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Head of Department.
TERMS OF SERVICE
Benefits for the above position include a competitive basic salary, house allowance, medical cover for staff and dependants, life Insurance, opportunities for further development and training and other regular allowances.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should send four (4) copies of their application for the position. Application and recommendation letters from referees should be addressed to
The Vice Chancellor
P.O Box 195-80108, Kilifi
Applications should include an up to date CV, giving details of applicants age, marital status, academic and professional qualifications, work experience, present post and salary, email address, telephone, names and contacts of three referees who are knowledgeable about the competence of the applicant, copies of relevant certificates and testimonials.
Pwani University is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply.
Persons living with disability should attach a copy of their National Council for Persons with Disability (NCPWD) Registration Card.
Applicants with foreign qualifications must submit a Certificate of Recognition from the Commission for University Education.
The deadline for submitting applications is Friday 19th February 2021. Applications received later than this date will not be considered
Please Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
PWANI UNIVERSITY DOES NOT CHARGE FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, OR APPOINTMENT).