Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA Kenya) invites applications from qualified candidates for the following vacant position:
FIDA/SLC/02/2021: Senior Legal Counsel – Access to Justice, Nairobi.
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, the successful candidate will be expected to lead litigation, provide legal aid services to clients, manage all access to justice programs, develop and maintain relationships with partners, create awareness on women’s rights and supervise staff in Access to Justice, Nairobi.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the implementation of all Access to Justice Programmes (Legal Representation, Probono Lawyers Scheme, Mediation, Counseling/Group Therapy, Self- Representation, Strategic Impact Litigation, and Informal Justice Systems).
- Oversee day to day running of the legal clinic, virtual justice center, and toll-free line.
- Mentor and supervise staff working in the Access to Justice team in Nairobi.
- Approve all pleadings and other documents drafted by the Access to Justice team in Nairobi.
- Oversee the implementation of women’s rights, governance, and advocacy projects undertaken by the Access to Justice team- Nairobi.
- Monitor and evaluate programs and activities (prepare and oversee the preparation of the team’s work plans, result-based management reports, monthly team reports, and donor reports).
Legal Aid and Litigation
- Provide legal advice and referrals to clients.
- Draft pleadings and represent clients in Court.
- Conduct research and prepare pleadings in Strategic Impact Litigation cases.
- Draft legal opinions.
- Conduct community legal aid clinics and legal awareness forums.
- Liaise with other like-minded partners including CBOs, NGOs, government departments, to advance women’s rights at national, regional, and international levels.
- Draft petitions, memorandums and press briefings regarding public matters affecting women’s rights.
- Lobby and advocate for women’s rights at the national as well as international level.
- Design and conduct research and analysis of key policy issues and legislations affecting women.
- Organize and facilitate workshops and trainings at national, county, and community levels on women’s rights.
- Support and collaborate with Grant Teams in the development of proposals and concept notes.
- Generate content for print media and IEC materials.
Minimum Qualifications and Attributes:
The ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications and attributes: –
- MUST be an advocate of the High Court of Kenya with a valid practicing certificate with at least FIVE (5) years post-admission experience.
- MUST have strong working experience in litigation, family laws, gender, and women’s rights issues. Experience in Strategic Impact Litigation (SIL) is an added advantage.
- Have experience in managing teams.
- Knowledge of program management; planning, implementation, and monitoring & evaluation. Previous experience in the NGO sector is highly desirable.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
How to apply
Interested candidates who fully meet the above criteria should send an application letter, detailed CV, and a copy of the current practicing certificate to The Executive Director, FIDA Kenya, E-mail: email@example.com by Friday, 19th February 2021. The application MUST include contacts of three referees one of whom must be a former supervisor, expected salary, daytime contact, job title, and job reference number.
Only email applications will be considered and only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
FIDA Kenya is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis (age, gender, sex, race, ethnic origin, social origin, disability, religion, and marital status) and DOES NOT charge applicants any fee at any stage of the recruitment process.