The Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Specialist is a hands-on non-supervisory position that provides support to develop and implement the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) plans for multiple countries that buy in to the USAID-funded Promoting the Quality of Medicines Plus (PQM+) Program in Africa. The incumbent will be responsible for collecting, collating, documenting, communicating and reporting results, supporting timely development of associated deliverables, and meeting program reporting requirements (e.g., quarterly and annual reports), ensuring full field office participation in knowledge sharing and learning work, and providing technical assistance and training in M&E to PQM+ program staff and in-country counterparts. The specialist will work out of the PQM+ office in Nairobi, Kenya. The specialist will support PQM+ country programs in Kenya and other countries with PQM+ buy-ins, many of which are in Africa.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develops country PQM+ MEL Plans in collaboration with the MEL Director and in alignment with the PQM+ global results framework and MEL Plan (including PQM+ indicators) in order to track country progress in achieving objectives.
- Executes the country PQM+ MEL Plans, including monitoring and reporting country programs’ progress towards achieving outputs and outcomes.
- Facilitates the development of quarterly and annual progress reports on all program activities in collaboration with Chiefs of Party and/or PQM+ Program Managers and ensures timely submission of reports to USAID Missions.
- Obtains information on performance results from PQM+ technical team members and enters data for all country-level indicators into the DevResults database per the reporting schedule. Uploads associated documentation/means of verification to DevResults.
- Obtains timely review and approval of reported data from the Chief of Party or Program Manager.
- Supports the Chief of Party or Program Manager in conducting periodic program reviews and planning workshops.
- Ensures country program staff participate in and contribute to PQM+ knowledge sharing activities.
- Suggests strategies to the Chief of Party for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the Country program by identifying bottlenecks in completing activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate such bottlenecks.
- Provides M&E expertise or coordinates M&E support to country counterparts as they develop, implement, and use performance monitoring indicators for their own medicine quality activities.
- Coordinates the evaluation of key program activities with the PQM+ MEL team.
- Supports data collection associated with PQM+ research projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, social science, statistics, biological/ physical sciences or demography
- Three (3) years of experience in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) including design and implementation of M&E in development projects implemented by national/international NGOs, including experience drafting performance reports for donor-funded projects
- Three (3) years of experience in collection, management, analysis and interpretation of quantitative data
- Excellent English-language communication skills (written and oral)
- Excellent attention to detail and commitment to data integrity
- Master’s Degree in public health, social science or statistics
- Five (5) years of experience in M&E of development projects implemented by national/international NGOs, including experience drafting performance reports for donor-funded projects
- Experience providing M&E support for USAID-funded projects
- Excellent knowledge of performance monitoring, especially of health system strengthening interventions
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection including survey design, implementation and analysis
- French language capabilities preferred
- Strong analytic skills
- Ability to work independently
How to Apply