Senior Reporter Job, Latest Communication Jobs,
Reporting to the News Editor, the jobholder will be responsible for covering business news events, writing and submitting factual and balanced stories for publication within set deadlines, doing analyses as well as handling and giving input to special reports.
- Developing, reporting and writing business news and feature stories for The EastAfrican Newspaper so that no major rewrite is required or no extensive additional report is needed;
- Attending assigned news functions, taking notes on location, carrying out interviews, checking facts and making an audio/visual recording as the case may be; writing News or Features at their own initiative, choice and judgment or at the direction of either the Assistant Editor or the News Editor;
- Ensuring that the material so written reflects a thorough understanding of Nation’s style of journalism as defined in the editorial policy guidelines and objectives, the house style and the journalistic code of ethical journalism;
- Researching and providing background information to make copy complete;
- Briefing the News Editor on stories gathered and writing the selected ones within set deadlines;
- Following news leads and maintaining close contacts with news sources;
- Continually building his/her contacts list and demonstrating its value with consistent exclusive reports or information;
- Responding promptly to news breaks;
- Responsible for the correctness of facts, content and style of his/her news materials;
- Checking the written stories to ensure that they are free from errors and libel;
- Generating stories for use on Group multimedia platforms;
- Filing all elements of digital story as per Digital First policy (alerts; social media; web story; multimedia) within defined deadlines;
- Adhering to Social Media Policy as updated from time to time.
Qualifications, Experience & skills
- University degree;
- Diploma in Journalism/Mass Communication;
- 3 to 5 years relevant experience;
- Ability to communicate both inside and outside the organisation;
- Ability to analyse, interpret and write simplified stories from complex reports for our audiences.