Amazon strives to be Earth’s most customer-centric company where people can find and discover virtually anything they want to buy online. By giving customers more of what they want – low prices, vast selection, and convenience – Amazon continues to grow and evolve as a world-class e-commerce platform.
Read more about this company
Software Development Manager
- Job TypeFull Time
- LocationWestern Cape
- CityCape Town
- Job FieldICT / Computer
Our Software Development Managers are strong technical leaders and owners who’s primary responsibilities are to hire and develop great talent, engage with stakeholders and customers to build out feature roadmaps for the services they own. Finally, they manage the Software Development Life Cycle and operations of these services. Our managers exemplify Amazon’s leadership principles.
As a Software Development Manager with a proven track record you help your team identify and follow their purpose. You are responsible for building out, owning and maintaining your service. You have extensive understanding of distributed systems and can work with your team to deliver high quality solutions in a timely manner that are designed for scale and low operational cost. As a developer of great talent, you develop the best engineers to deliver services that are able to support the demands associated with the world’s leading cloud provider. You are able to work with stakeholders to develop and deliver on your feature and investment roadmap. You have excellent verbal and written skills and communicate effectively with technology and business oriented stakeholders – whether it is to communicate your team’s roadmap, having difficult trade off discussions or managing customer expectations.
- Proven results oriented person with a delivery focus and demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment.
- Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed project plans and schedules; manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team by defining, implementing and maintaining a coherent, progressive development strategy for our product line.
- Evolution of the software engineering practice within the organization, including better reporting, tools, and evolution of development methodology
- Report on status of product quality to management, customer support and product teams via rigorous execution of detailed plans and accurate reporting of test cases executed, bugs discovered, bugs fixed, etc.
- Continue to build an effective development organization by driving the recruiting and hiring of senior level engineers, developing and managing the group, and conducting performance reviews of team members
- Degree in Computer Science/Information technology or equivalent experience
- 5-10 years experience in Software development
- 4+ years as a Manager of Software Development Engineers
- Knowledge and experience with one or more development methodologies.
- Experience in developing engineering processes.
- MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience with Linux/Unix and UNIX tools.
- Previous demonstrated project management success on similar projects with emphasis placed on experience with high-volume web-based applications