Schneider Electric is the global specialist in energy management and automation. With revenues of €26.6 billion in FY2015, our 185,000 employees serve customers in over 100 countries, helping them to manage their energy and process in ways that are safe, reliable, efficient and sustainable. From the simplest of switches to complex operational systems…
Read more about this company
Solar Field Services Engineer
- Job TypeFull Time
- LocationWestern Cape
- CityCape Town
- Job FieldEngineering / Technical
The Position is focused around maintanance and up keep of two Solar Farms in the Cape Town Area.The technician will focus on the upkeep and maintanance of Scheider Electric inverters on the solar plant.Although the Prioty work will be on the solar farm it will also be expected to attend to other work on other customer sites as set out below. The below are also relevant to level of work expected on the solar farms.
This position is accountable for installing, inspecting, maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing customer equipment on Solar Farms The incumbent will maintain, retrofit, and provide technical support for all Schneider products, both in the shop and on site. Work on competitive equipment may also be part of the role. FSR will instruct customers on the operation and maintenance of equipment. He will provide technical instruction and guidance to new and less experienced FSR. He will perform warranty and recall work. Test circuits and equipment utilizing various tools and machines such as computers, software, workstations, circuit diagram, etc. Analyze malfunctions in equipment and interpret maintenance manuals, using knowledge of systems and electronics to isolate and correct issues. FSR must be available to respond to emergency calls and for intervention. Maintain service equipment, tools and documentation. Identify sales opportunities and submit them to sales teams in the FS systems (CRM/ERP). Any intervention will have to be prepared and executed in respect of safety guidelines (prevention plan, protection equipments, …)
- Provide outstanding customer service
- Advise customers on best practice, new services and upgrade opportunities
- Perform Startup/Commissioning on equipment across the Schneider Electric product portfolio.
- Perform Preventive, scheduled and unscheduled Maintenance on equipment
- Track Installed Base (serviceable assets)
- Submit Opportunity Detected during his interventions
- Support serviceable Schneider equipment including but not limited to electrical switchgear,MV,LV Solar inverters.
- Leads or contributes to Field Services small projects coordination and execution on customer site (end of life, modernization, upgrade, …).
- Must have proven skill level to interpret blueprints and other service documents, including but not limited to, specifications, reporting and quality requirements.
- Perform basic audits of customer’s electrical systems and equipment.
- Document all required information for each site (technical report)
- Get signature from customer for acceptance after the execution of the on-site work
- Provide daily and accurate time and expense for each customer intervention
- Properly document, label, and return all defective parts utilized in the repair of equipment to the designated disposal/repair location.
- Develop innovative solutions to more complex technical problems that arise during start-up.
- Research, evaluate, and recommend new products or equipments upgrades that will meet customer needs.
- Assist Schneider Electric Service Partners in site visits, evaluating technical and professional performance.
- When at customer site, looks for other business opportunities outside current scope of work and lead them to the sales team
- Is in permanent relation with his planner/coordinator for smooth execution of his intervention
- Will escalate to FS technical expert in the countries as needed when unable to solve a technical issue
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Can investigate remotely the origin of the breakdown and submit fixes (in a service bureau for example)
- Customers, coordinators, Operations leader, Inside services sales, technical support
Key Success Factors
- Regular training to develop competency
- Knowledge of overall Schneider Electric offer and serviceable assets to identify cross-BU opportunities
- Appropriate tools to be efficient
Skills Required (can be adapted per technologies used in SE Business Units)
- High level of technical knowledge of electronic/electrical component theory. Knowledge of Solar systems and applicable application software knowledge is preferred.
- Must be able to perform duties with general direction, receiving only general guidance with respect to overall objectives. Work is usually quite independent of other team members
- Must operate within division policy guidelines using independent judgment in achieving assigned objectives
- Must comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures
- Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve departmental and company goals
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business procedures, professional documents, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of algebra and geometry.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Proficient personal computer skills including electronic mail, record keeping, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, etc.
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be able to stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time. Must be able to lift and carry heavy objects up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to communicate (speak, hear and write) effectively to various intellectual levels.
- Familiarization in preparing MOPs is a plus and candidate must adhere to the strict guidelines of approved Methods of Procedures (MOPs).
- Verifiable hands-on technical work experience required
- Certification needed according to Business and Country where he is operating.
- Posses a valid driver’s license.