The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: System Administrator – Bioinformatics
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Recruitment Type: National (1-year renewable contract)
- Work with the Bioinformaticians and the Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) on the setting up of a newly purchased HPC server.
- Installation and maintenance of all needed software for the bioinformatics and breeding requirements on the server
- Maintain an accessible database for all installed software
- Support the bioinformatics and breeding teams with bioinformatics tasks
- Maintain the new and existing servers updated, OS and installed software
- Control the use of the servers, CPU-, RAM- and storage-use and provide metrics on usage and defined cost recovery figures
- Train staff, students and partners on usage of bioinformatics tools on the HPC especially for polyploid crops;
- Perform any other additional duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or other related fields with five (5) years relevant experience in systems Administration.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Excellent knowledge of Unix and high performance in computing.
We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Application Closing Date
20th January, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter which should address how their background / experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, Names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor / Superior at his / her present or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.